Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Quotes by Women, About Women, For Women

Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes." They will say, "Women don't have what it takes."
~Clare Boothe Luce



Women have been taught that, for us, the earth is flat, and that if we venture out, we will fall off the edge. ~Author Unknown


The emotional, sexual, and psychological stereotyping of females begins when the doctor says, "It's a girl." ~Shirley Chisholm


I think it's about time we voted for senators with breasts. After all, we've been voting for boobs long enough. ~Clarie Sargent, Arizona senatorial candidate

*APPLAUSE!*

Never let the hand you hold, hold you down. ~Author Unknown


I wish someone would have told me that, just because I'm a girl, I don't have to get married. ~Marlo Thomas


Women are the only oppressed group in our society that lives in intimate association with their opressors. ~Evelyn Cunningham


Feminism is the radical notion that women are people. ~Cheris Kramarae and Paula Treichler


I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naïve or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman. ~Anaïs Nin


Man endures pain as an undeserved punishment; woman accepts it as a natural heritage. ~Author Unknown



I see my body as an instrument, rather than an ornament. ~Alanis Morissette, quoted in Reader's Digest, March 2000



I'm tough, I'm ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay. ~Madonna Ciccone

*attagal!*


When I see the elaborate study and ingenuity displayed by women in the pursuit of trifles, I feel no doubt of their capacity for the most herculean undertakings. ~Julia Ward Howe



Men are taught to apologize for their weaknesses, women for their strengths. ~Lois Wyse



There is a special place in hell for women who do not help other women. ~Madeleine K. Albright


The test for whether or not you can hold a job should not be the arrangement of your chromosomes. ~Bella Abzug


I've yet to be on a campus where most women weren't worrying about some aspect of combining marriage, children, and a career. I've yet to find one where many men were worrying about the same thing. ~Gloria Steinem


I refuse to believe that trading recipes is silly. Tunafish casserole is at least as real as corporate stock. ~Barbara Grizzuti Harrison


A woman reading Playboy feels a little like a Jew reading a Nazi manual. ~Gloria Steinem


The world has never yet seen a truly great and virtuous nation because in the degradation of woman the very fountains of life are poisoned at their source. ~Lucretia Mott


To tell a woman everything she may not do is to tell her what she can do. ~Spanish Proverb


Some of us are becoming the men we wanted to marry. ~Gloria Steinem


can't be a rose in any man's lapel. ~Margaret Trudeau


No man is as anti-feminist as a really feminine woman. ~Frank O'Connor


Why is it that men can be bastards and women must wear pearls and smile? ~Lynn Hecht Schafren


Easy is an adjective used to describe a woman who has the sexual morals of a man. ~Nancy Linn-Desmond


Nobody objects to a woman being a good writer or sculptor or geneticist if at the same time she manages to be a good wife, a good mother, good-looking, good-tempered, well-dressed, well-groomed, and unaggressive. ~Marya Mannes



It starts when you sink in his arms and ends with your arms in his sink. ~Author Unknown


I'm just a person trapped inside a woman's body. ~Elaine Boosler


We've begun to raise daughters more like sons... but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters. ~Gloria Steinem


Many beautiful women have been made happy by their own beauty, but no intelligent woman has ever been made happy by her own intelligence. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966


One does not have to sleep with, or even touch, someone who has paid for your meal. All those obligations are hereby rendered null and void, and any man who doesn't think so needs a quick jab in the kidney. ~Cynthia Heimel, Sex Tips for Girls, 1983

(don't let them buy you a meal at all!)



No comments: